Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Ketchup


Eee, eee, and eek. I've been neglecting my yoga journal. So here's the catch-up post.

Feb. 1, Sunday: did my usual complete practice after skipping asanas on Saturday, but substituted a very mild spinal twist for Ardha Matsyendranasana because of pain in the shoulder. Trikonasana hurts the shoulder too, but I did it anyway because I think the effects of it -- popping in the back and left hip -- are really beneficial.

Feb. 2, Monday: Traveled to Oregon that day, after doing a quick but complete practice shortly after arising. It's a better way to start the day than what I usually do, which is drink six cups of coffee and tap away on the internet tubes for three or four hours, then practice, then eat.

Feb. 3, Tuesday. Did not practice. Returned from Oregon somewhat (but not too badly) bedraggled. I'm having a very tough time relearning guitar because of the loss of muscular control in my hands and fingers. I hope I don't have to give up this project. If I get good enough to play in public again I could turn heads, because even though I wouldn't be the greatest guitar player in the world, I've got the coolest looking guitar of anyone around.

Then there's today. Regular practice this morning (after six cups of coffee and three hours on the computer -- damn! I'm gonna have to change that thing) in spite of the continuing pain in the right shoulder. I'm taking Aleve, but it's not helping.

One thing I noticed (couldn't help but notice) after two consecutive very good days of pranayama last week was the sudden emergence of unusually focused mental clarity during and after dreaming. One dream last Saturday night in particular has stayed with me, as it should and probably must. Never mind that it told me something about the way I view my past behavior that I initially didn't want to know. It's something I have to come to terms with, or it wouldn't have cropped up.

No comments: