Friday, February 20, 2009

Weekend Stillness

Friday morning, and everything is still.

On Wednesday I traveled to Seattle to take an all-levels Viniyoga class at Whole Life. It was worthwhile and beneficial, but I'll post my specific impressions elsewhere.

Didn't practice yesterday, except for some brief, experimental movement and breathing for purposes of instruction at my regular Thursday evening teacher training class.

I won't practice today either. For one thing, my lifelong bad habit has (temporarily) returned. For another, I'm seeing the physical therapist today so he can treat this shoulder injury and (I hope) symptoms of Parkinson's. My shoulder really hurts right now.

I'm thinking about very large questions this morning. What will be the world's fate? Prospects for the human race don't look too good, but unless there's a thermonuclear exchange, life will go on, one way or another. It's the quality of future human life in a decimated, foreboding, and unforgiving environment that's at issue, and whether living will be worth the effort in the future is the real question. Is "The Road Warrior" the template for the future? It sure as hell ain't "Back to the Future," I can assure you.

Think about those two diametrically opposed visions of what awaits us, then consider, is 2012 the year the future of humanity on earth (or not) will be decided? Are the Mayans trying to tell us something? For all our technical virtuosity, their calendar(s) was more sophisticated than ours, and their astronomy second to none. Is there really something to astrology after all?

Stay tuned. And call me if you come up with any answers. My phone number is 666.

_________________________________________

No comments: