Monday, February 23, 2009

Adaptation Dictated by Circumstances

This morning I've returned to yoga practice after a lost weekend that began with a disconcerting diagnosis on Thursday afternoon. After roughly three days spent reconciling myself to changed circumstances, I'm ready to resume the program. Life goes on, and I suspect it will for a while.

Two steps forward; one step back, two more forward.

The lost weekend is the reason I didn't write up the report of my participation in a morning all-levels class at Whole Life, taught by Sherrill (spelling? her initials are "SS") any sooner than this. I attended on Wednesday, February 18, and I hope I can remember the salient details.

The class began with a brief period of pranayama incorporating all four breath elements (inhale, retention, exhale, suspension), and what I noticed for about the tenth time is that I really can't do suspension, and need to stop trying. Emphysema as severe as mine compromises the lungs' ability to empty themselves, and consequently, inhalation is unusually shallow. if I try to suspend, I end up breathless. Retention, however, is not only easy, but feels good. What I worked out in my morning practice today is that the most comfortable pranayama cycle for me is: inhale count of four, retention count of four, exhale count of eight, followed by the briefest suspension (a half second pause). Here, as elsewhere, my practice needs to be adapted to my circumstances, and considering my numerous physical problems, Viniyoga, with its emphasis on adaptation to the practitioner, is definitely the most practical and most beneficial approach available to me.

After breathing, the class moved into a series of postures performed while lying on the ventral side. Because of a spinal injury at the junction of L5/S1, I found once again that I can lift my legs from this position only with great difficulty, and probably shouldn't try. Lifting the head and chest while lying on the abs seems beneficial, however.

I had trouble breathing during a sequence incorporating cakravakasana and vajrasana. I was moving at the same rhythm as the rest of the class, became breathless, and sort of started gasping. What I should do in future is find a comfortable rate of breathing suitable to that level of exertion, then let the pace of respiration determine the speed of the asana sequence.

We did a series of moves that combined uttanasana and a posture that involved bending at the waist with arms extended overhead, with the face toward the floor. At one point, standing up from the second posture to the fully-standing phase of uttanasana I lost oxygen to the brain and had to go into a squat with hands on the floor to avoid falling. Here again, I'll need to experiment, find a comfortable rate of respiration for this sequence, and let the breath set the pace, irrespective of what others are doing.

At the close of class, during savasana, I felt the usual twin effects from the previous hour's work of relaxation and renewed vigor. I observed as I usually do after practice that the most obvious effect yoga produces on my system is to reduce the pain and discomfort in my lower back. The second most noticeable effect is a calming and reduction in shaking associated with Parkinson's Disease. Thirdly, breathing seems slower and somewhat stronger after practice, although probably nowhere near what normal people experience.

I enjoyed the class and hope to repeat the experience soon.

__________________________________________________________________

No comments: