Monday, May 11, 2009

All Things Old Are New Again


Everything that arises passes away, the Great Teacher taught us. And everything that passes away returns, but in a new form, "trans"formed, as it were, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse, depending on the nature of what it accumulated last time around.

And that's how it was waking up this morning after the previous day's small death. The first thing to do was shower thoroughly, washing off that smell of death and decay. Time to look at the new, and the old which has become new. Time to accept the changed circumstances of life at 65.

A desire to see Old New Mexico is back, along with the testosterone overload of the Rolling Stones when they were dewy-cheeked lads of 20, with their criminally sexy bods and rock-solid R&B.

And so to practice: breathing in -- in with the positive; breathing out -- out with the negative. In with the good, out with the not-so-good; in with the "Yes, I can," out with the "No, I can't." Thus I was taught by my first teacher in California, the great Ellen B. Shooo.

Then come the postures or asanas, new today because of the clarity of mind with which I approach them. And I remembered that I had forgotten one of the most important of the poses last time (Saturday) -- savasana -- important because it prepares the mind and body for what comes after.

Pranayama. The inhale is a little short and labored today, but I'll be back by tomorrow.

Then chant "Namaha" (Your will be done). I accept the will of That Which Never Changes, even if that means Parkinson's Disease.

And that's something new, even if it's old news.

--30--

1 comment:

youryoga said...

Thank you Sri. It is nice to be remembered....as the GREAT Allan Toussaint says " oh yes we can, you know we can, oh yes we can, can...make this world a better place........." In with the yes we can.... and the YES WE WILL......
I was really just thinking to check out your blog.... and here you are.
who cut my legs off? The mean