Friday, June 26, 2009

Have You Ever?


Have you ever felt such a strong feeling of affection for someone that the feeling just by itself almost breaks your heart?

Have you ever sat and watched your life change from minute to minute and hour to hour, in the same way you'd watch the water in a river flow past?

Have you ever wondered, "Why am I doing this?" and then followed the string of causation back to its most basic and fundamental emotional source?

Does it ever occur to you that all clean food is produced without killing any animal?

I wonder if I should water the yard today. It's Friday, and very quiet here in Port Orchard.

I had a tough time getting home last night, because it's getting harder for me to see in the dark. I got confused, hit a median, and lost a hubcap.

Time to move to the city, old man. Cars go too fast. Walking is the cure for that, and letting somebody else drive.

When I got home, Rachel and Sol were here, just passing through on their way to Vancouver, B.C. today. They're traveling in their new 1975 VW Westphalia van, like a couple of old hippies. We had breakfast this morning, which Rachel cooked in the van while wearing an apron. She's the very picture of happy domesticity -- something I never thought I'd see.

Today they'll take a ferry out of Port Townsend to Whidbey Island, then get back to the mainland via Deception Pass. Thence, up Chuckanut Drive to Bellingham, and on to the border -- all in all a day's work.

Those kids are so beautiful it's painful.

--30--

No comments: