Saturday, June 06, 2009

Down Dog


I went back to my old practice today, the one I've been doing since the beginning of April. There's something in it, or maybe several things, that help my shoulder to heal and shake the inflammation, even better than what the therapist gave me to do. I just don't know exactly what it is that's helping -- warrior pose, down dog, the shoulder stand, the lateral twist triangle pose (that one especially) -- maybe all of them are aiding in healing the injury and inflammation. So I'll stick with the old asana routine for now, combining it with the new breathing/meditation exercises.

As it turns out, my current assignment in the Anatomy Coloring Book is a close examination of that particular joint. Concentrating on the appropriate pictures, I tried figuring out exactly what part is injured, and I'm thinking it's the sub-deltoid bursa, that part of the cushion lying immediately under the deltoid muscle.

I keep having my most vivid dreams in the hour or so before I wake up. This morning I was watching myself as I used to be, when I was in my twenties and early thirties. It was a very clear picture, showed all the old habits and even modes of thinking, and wasn't pleasant viewing. Following that, I got a very brief image of a hanging body so frightening I don't like recalling it. I think it was a revelation of my worst fear.

--30--

No comments: