Friday, April 24, 2009

Relentless Moss

I haven't had a chance to practice today so I made doubly sure to take a walk. The half-mile trail up to the village store via Ludlow Falls is perfect for me, considering my age, my condition, my growing egotism about being in shape, and as an opportunity to show off, if I ever find a lady to show off for.

I had the fleeting realization that maybe I should take my camera when I set out on this walk an hour or so ago. I neglected to follow up on that brain fart, but the great pictures I saw on the trail today aren't going anywhere, and I'll get them another day.

Mostly these unexposed shots will be of death and decay, and the rebirth and new growth that comes out of it. When trees or any other plants die in the rain forest, they begin to rot before they fall, and once they're toppled -- onto the ground, or into the creek, or piled up among the other corpses at the bottom of a ravine -- they're halfway to becoming dirt already. Seedlings take root on the dead bodies of these soggy, disintegrating cadavers, and the ubiquitous, relentless moss, putting its soft fuzz on every available decaying surface, breaks down the old, departed trees and hurries the process along by which they're turned back into dirt.

All of life follows the example of the trees in the Olympic type of rain forest, even our own. We come out of the earth and ultimately belong to the earth, for we're of this intelligent and beautiful earth. And the earth is partly composed of the dead bodies of those who came before us. Our lives are partly made of out and nourished by their former lives, and even their thoughts are a constituent of the compost which feeds and invigorates us.

I'll get some lovely pictures of these things tomorrow or the next day.

--30--

1 comment:

desert mirage said...

that's not ego it's the increased endorphins from the increased exercise. which is why once we get off our tired ass we come back for more. celebrate