Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Parkinson's Disease

In my case, the disorder is manifested mostly in the right arm and hand. The left arm and hand are a little bit involved occasionally, and sometimes my teeth chatter slightly. So it feels like it's originating around the sides of the neck and tops of the shoulders. But the true origin of it is in the brain, of course, with its insufficient production of dopamine.

I'm finding I can keep it mostly under control during pranayama if I really concentrate on relaxing that right shoulder and arm. Of course, that takes away some of the attention that under normal circumstances would be focused on the breath, but in my case the splitting of attention in this way is both right and proper. IMHO. I'll have to consult the authorities on this.

--30--

No comments: