Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Patanjali and the Chants


Sometimes I think Patanjali's Yoga Sutras are the stairway to heaven. We have to do the hard work of climbing, but he provides the staircase.

Not much to report right now. I did my full, regular practice both yesterday and today. Morning, before breakfast, works best.

I've been studying quite a bit. I'm also trying to learn some chanting, from my "Chants of India" CD (Ravi Shankar and George Harrison) and a copy of the Taittiriya Upanishad, but I'm having a lot of trouble with the pronunciation of some of the words. There are sounds in Sanskrit we don't have in the European languages; they're both hard to reproduce and even harder to hear accurately.

--30--

1 comment:

desert mirage said...

Quite apart from the charm of the new and
the fascination of the half-understood, there is
good cause for Yoga to have many adherents. It offers
the possibility of controllable experience and
thus satisfies the scientific need for “facts”; and, besides
this, by reason of its breadth and depth, its
venerable age, its doctrine and method, which include
every phase of life, it promises undreamedof
possibilities.
Dr. Carl G. Jung