Friday, March 27, 2009

Shouldering Pain Aside


Right. Took a break from yoga today so I could concentrate on rehab.

My physical therapist, Michael, is zeroing in on just the right exercises for this shoulder injury I got from falling in the snow last December 24, and now we're starting to get somewhere. So every couple hours I'm pulling on the necktie just that certain way, and doing a couple other weird arm movements, then testing the result by lying on my back and trying to get my elbows to the floor while my hands are clasped behind my head.

"Great happiness," as King Malcolm said early on in Shakespeare's ""MacBeth" before he got stabbed in the neck. I'm just about there, and with less and less pain each time. Plus I'm not hurting in between sets and reps. So I think we're about there.

Our bodies are mostly tough and resilient, but vulnerable in a few key spots, and ya gotta take care of them spots.

What with feeling better, I'm getting more done around the condo. Shoveling out, mostly. God, I'm so ready to be out of here and on the other side of the water, in the big shitty. I want to play music -- low volume, contemporary, cutting-edge, quality stuff that I can hear in my head. With 50 years of experience and a smooth touch on the tubs, I'm sure people will overlook the fact that I'm old. It won't get in the way at all.

I want to carry the message of Viniyoga to people suffering from COPD, particularly to those people who might be sitting alone in little rooms somewhere today feeling hopeless, feeling like there's nothing they can do to help themselves. I want to give 'em the old "come to Jesus" pitch, and then show 'em how it's done.

There's so much I want to do, I feel so alive I'm about to bust out of my own skin.

No comments: