Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Interruption


This morning my physical therapist gave me four new exercises to treat this shoulder injury that's been getting in the way for a couple months now. Added to the four I was already doing, plus the one for Parkinson's, that's between half an hour and 40 minutes for each session, twice a day.

So I've suspended regular asana practice for the duration. Instead I'll do the shoulder therapy religiously, and work in a short practice routine with a few key postures. Today it was a standing forward bend, the Dvipada Pitham bridges, Navasana (the boat), table top/child's, a lying-down spinal twist, and Apanasana. I got my share of spinal adjustments doing this, and followed up with a full Pranayama, so that should be an adequate survival ration.

Controlled breathing is really difficult, especially the intake. Air gets about halfway down and hits bottom -- no more room. Full exhale is long, and requires effort. Suspension isn't even a possibility.

Clearing the mind of noise and clutter is even harder. But it does happen sometimes. Seems to be dependent on my being able to relax the hips and thighs, then there's this thing looking at me from some distance, only the distance is inside my head. It's like a point of light, or maybe a cluster of points. I don't know what it is. Also, I'm apprehending it from one point on the inside, not stereoptically.

No comments: