Thursday, March 12, 2009

Born Loser


I'm a born loser, baby,
And they call me 'The Ace of Spades;'
I'm a born loser, baby,
And I lose more every day..."

--Version of the 'Roll and Tumble Blues'
Sung by legendary Chicago street singer,
The Ace of Spades


No home practice today. I found out we'll be moving tonight in class. Today's the day for the big trip across the water, and maybe tomorrow, too.

Practice yesterday yielded results. I went to bed very early last night and got a phone call after I'd already fallen into a deep sleep. As I was reaching for the phone from an awkward position, halfway on and halfway off the bed with one foot on the floor, my L5 lumbar spine re-adjusted with a loud pop like I've never heard before.

Felt sooooooo good.

Right. So now I have to give up coffee. It's begun to make my kidneys hurt.

Do I have to give up absolutely everything? I never wanted to be a Holy Man.

I won't even bother with telling myself I'll cut down. I know myself a lot better than that.

This means I'll have to go cold turkey, and just tough it out through the headaches, the ennui, and the depression that follow. At least it won't last all that long.

Is there any vice in God's big world I don't have to give up? Even a small one? If anyone knows, please leave a comment.

________________________________

3 comments:

Ponsefulai said...

I don't think you should give up coffee while you're trying to quit other things... there's a line somewhere in the Big Book about that. Maybe just one cup a day, or every other day, but you'll make yourself crazy tryin' to give it all up at once, eh?

Rod said...

This puts me in mind of the story about the guy who went to the doc's looking for a way to live longer.
"Give up booze, smokes, sex and coffee" said the Doc.
"Will I live longer?" said the guy.
"Heck no" replied the Doc " But it'll sure feel like it!!"
As my old grandpa used to say Dave "A bit of what you feel like does you good...but take all things in moderation".
He lived till he was 89.
I speak in jest my friend...you know your body better than anyone, do what's right for you.

desert mirage said...

A good way to beat the caffeine habit and also a good way to tune up the kidneys is not start your day with coffee. A full pot of peppermint tea, if you feel like a cup of coffee after that then fine. chances are you will have your tea and then enjoy a good cup of coffee later in the afternoon. Your kidneys will thank you and the headaches will be absent. This is an Edgar Cayce cure and it works. until you buy a new and fancy coffee maker and can't wait to try it first thing in the morning.