Monday, March 09, 2009

Medicine and Therapy


All-day marathon class at the yoga studio yesterday. It ended with some really nice movement. This was Viniyoga at its best, gentle stretching coordinated with the pace of each individual's controlled respiration.

From each according to ability; to each according to need, and always with attention to the breathing.

The way I recovered from alcoholism was by temporarily placing control of my life in the hands of other people, and allowing myself to be converted to a formula for living laid out in a book, one with spiritual overtones. The way I recovered from inflammatory bowel disease was by learning to regard all food as either medicine or poison.

The way I'll recover from the current crisis is by combining those two approaches. I'll turn control of my life over to other people, although they may not be aware of it. I'll immerse myself in the written version of the ancient philosophy of liberation and mindfulness. From now on, breathing is not just a necessary activity; it's my most essential therapy.

_______________________________________________

1 comment:

Joe said...

Beautifully said.