Monday, March 27, 2006

Free Tinkerbell

Bad blogs are the proverbial dime a dozen, and it's a little too easy to dial a few up at random and waste time in that silliest of exercises, feeling smug and superior to ignorant and bigoted maroons. I suppose we all do it, even though it's a singularly unattractive practice, and sort of the intellectual equivalent of beating up the village idiot.

That said, I still check in with Kaye Grogan from time to time because I enjoy adventures in syntax, and have to get my weekly dose of subjectless sentences wherever I can since I quit teaching school. Commenting on Senator Clinton's purported emotional instability in her latest offering, Grogan remarks, "To me being unstable is certainly not what I would call a viable candidate for the highest office in the country."

I'll go along with that. But then, I didn't realize Being Unstable was running.

However, bad blogs are pedestrian and ubiquitous, like coupons for Cocoa Puffs. What's more interesting are inexplicable, mysterious, and inscrutable blogs, the kind whose purpose and intent are completely indecipherable.

For example, the blogger known only as Taylor asks, "What else accomplish you need to grasp regarding maytag is the name everybody knows? The latest report is total here maytag is the name everybody knows. Be in the grasp regarding maytag is the name everybody knows."

"Maytag" may be "the name everybody knows," but why post it on a blog, especially with a link that goes nowhere? Why would I want to know that "Everything Great Starts Here with a career at Taco Bell"? And why would anyone post a comprehensive catalog of stories relating the gruesome details of spousal murders?

Perhaps you can help me answer these questions if you check out Free tinker bell collection for yourself.

The blogosphere is full of these kinds of sites, although kitsch is much more common. See for yourself. Just click on the button in the upper right hand corner of this space that says "Next Blog."

What do you think you'll get? I'll predict you'll get a page by somebody named Doreen, with lots of clip art snippets of pink angels with stubby wings, hearts that say "I Love You," rainbows, multi-colored peace signs, and pudgy lavender unicorns with long eyelashes, and it will be entitled, "My Flufy Kittys" and will have half a dozen or so out-of-focus pictures.

No comments: