Thursday, March 03, 2011

walkin blues

The "new normal" price of oil is a hundred bucks a barrel, so what's a poor person to do? Whatcha gonna do when "the pump don't work cause some vandals took the handle."*

Nothin to do but walk.

I'm using neighborhood resources as much as possible. I've been out already this morning to see my tax accountant (right across the street) and make an appointment with the dentist (two doors down). Later on I'll walk the half mile to the produce market. Looks like a no-car day here in the urban hellhole I love.

Or it would be if I didn't have to go to Edmonds later this afternoon, eight-and-a-half miles over hill and down dale and out to the Salish Seashore. I guess I'll gas up while I'm out there.

*Bob Dylan, "Subterranean Homesick Blues"

Gato Boxeador
--30--

2 comments:

Joe said...

Bummer about needing to go 8.5 miles. I have gotten by without having to go farther than 2 miles anywhere last year. Your produce market being just a half mile away reminds me that I have often wished mine was just that far instead of 1.5.

©∂†ß0X∑® said...

Three miles with a backpack is doable in nice weather only. Fortunately, spring is around the corner, and I have a feeling it'll be a warm one.

DB