Sunday, March 13, 2011

a fool's advice



This is the third month in the last five that the fool has shown up in my short monthly spread. It's actually three times in the last four, since the deck I used in January (Mexican loteria cards) doesn't have a fool card.

In December he was right in the middle of the spread, as he is this month, and back then I wrote a few words analyzing the image along with some comments on the history of the deck, over at Catboxx. In November he appeared on the far right (the place of honor!) of a four-card spread in a reading done by someone other than me. He may be a fool, but he's persistent.

Skeptics will say this is a coincidence, or possibly the result of careless shuffling. But I shuffle the cards thoroughly before each use, and in addition choose one pile of cards at random out of a triple-cut deck from which to select the three of 74 or 78 cards (depending on which pack I'm using). And I don't think it's a coincidence. I believe there's a message here, in the image.

But what is it? The homeless and essentially rudderless fool might be telling me I'm spiritually adrift, and looking for safe harbor. Or maybe it's something else I'm not quite ready to understand, and understanding is in the womb of time.

D.B.
--30--

3 comments:

Shopdog 50 said...

Great photo!

Joe said...

Dave, being the a rare sane person in a society of cognitive dissonance causes one to get taken as a fool.

DPirate said...

Me.