Monday, June 12, 2006

Carwash

Living with less money ("Less than what?" you ask; "Less than I used to have," I answer.) isn't easy. It requires some fine tuning.

So this morning after my run into town, I did something I'm still getting inured to, and washed my car. It was tough, but not that tough. The sun was beating down by ten a.m., but I still took my time, did a good job, saved fifteen bucks, and did my part to slow illegal immigration.

I also mowed and raked my own yard yesterday, although to be honest the strip of grass we installed strictly for dog comfort only takes fifteen minutes or so.

Ever seen a gringo sweat? It's probably good for him, if he doesn't overdo it.

Gone are the days when we had a gardener, a housecleaner, various maintenance men, the regular carwash stop, and did nothing but work and pay other people to take care of us. And it's really better this way.

When you have a small income, you think in more modest terms. Eat less meat and cheese, eat more beans and greens. Save your dimes in a piggy bank and turn them into grocery money when the pig gets full. Think twice about driving. Throw your credit card out the window (but be sure to shred it first).

I don't think money has much to do with happiness, unless a person has so little money that it becomes difficult to keep a roof over one's head, or keep body and soul together.

No comments: