Tuesday, April 02, 2013

changes

From now on, I'm going to read weekly rather than monthly.

Tarot is an oracle, with its cards symbolically representing all manner of human conditions, situations, events, and tendencies. Precognition can be a tarot function (I've seen it work that way), but more often the read is about the present, and how it's developing.

From the three-card spread, I expect to learn 1) Where I've been recently, 2) where I'm at now, and 3) What this is leading up to (unless I change course).

Occasionally the oracle is wrong. Much more often, the oracle is right, but I misinterpret due to "attachments" in the Buddhist sense, commonly called "denial."

The most blatant and instructive incident of this type happened in 2003, when I got the breakup card (pictured here) in the third spot, and denied it could happen. But it did, of course. My marriage began unraveling three years later, and in 2007 we went our separate ways.

What I'm saying is the cards can be wrong, but if you know what you're doing, they're usually not.

I'm also available to read for others, at no charge for a three-card read. The catch is you'll have to ask me. Hint: to leave a comment, you must have a g-mail email account. It's the dictatorship of Google, and none of my doing.

The illustration, Five Cups, is a Mamluk playing card, a hand-painted luxury item from Egypt, whose Mamluk Dynasty ended in 1571. These were the direct ancestors of European playing cards. Venetian importers brought these 52-card decks to Italy between 1360 and 1375, where they were imitated and quickly spread throughout Europe.

European cards, though crude knockoffs at first, were more interesting than the Mamluk originals, because the latter had no "face" cards. Because of the Muslim prohibition on pictorially representing humans, their court cards, while beautiful, were personality-less abstractions.







No comments: