Wednesday, June 23, 2010

new routine

Since I've been doing the same daily yoga practice for over a year now, I decided it was time for a change, and moved to a new template suggested by Viniyoga's founder, Gary Kraftsow, as one that will engage the mind, specifically the intellect, and body simultaneously.

Instructions for the manomaya practice -- that's its name -- are laid out in the Kraftsow book I've enjoyed most, Yoga for Transformation.

The new practice takes about an hour, as did the old one, but has pranayama and meditation integrated into the sequence, whereas before asana, pranayama, and meditation were discrete elements practiced sequentially.

This new routine isn't hard, but it's demanding. The only pose I can't do by the book is Bharadvajrasana, which Gary is doing in the picture. I need a strap to access the foot resting on the thigh when my arm is coming around behind the back. With practice, I should be able to make the stretch.

--30--

No comments: