Friday, February 17, 2006

Wal-Martians

I think I would rather deal with Satan himself than deal with Wal-Mart. In fact, I sometimes suspect Wal-Mart is Satan. He got bored one day. All the sinners were roasting, and what with all the degeneracy and violence in our 21st-century world, God was scared. So the Evil One decided to come to earth and start the company that would become the number-one high-volume corporation in the U.S., a giant among giants.

I'll admit, I'm sometimes tempted to go there and make a deal with the devil, and buy that large can of coffee for less than half of what I pay elsewhere. Then I remind myself of what Wal-Mart is doing to the wholesalers who supply that product, and what the wholesalers have to be doing to the Latin American growers who supply them.

It's a harsh fact of the global economy: the prosperity of the core depends on the impoverishment of the periphery. Actually, it's worse than harsh. Criminal is more like it.

As a non-violent revolutionary, I've established a few rules for myself, and the first is, don't deal with humungous, predatory corporations. The second is, don't drive, because the large, fat, imperialistic oil companies are among the largest corporations and the worst offenders.

Want to bring down the Republicrat and Demolican pirates who are attempting to ravage the Middle East for its oil (none too successfully, one might add) and have shipped all our good-paying jobs to places where they've found more pliable victims? Then stop supporting the corporations that make their style of politicking possible, by laying on the bribes which we are pleased to call "campaign contributions."

Don't cooperate. Don't buy their stuff. I call it "the soft revolution."

How much does a person, or a family, really need to live decently, gracefully, intelligently, and responsibly? Keep in mind that Exxon-Mobil stowed away 25 billion in profits last year. That's a lot of campaign contributions.

Wal-Mart is the number one offender. It harms more people world-wide than anyone else, with the possible exception of the petroleum giants.

No comments: