Thursday, November 24, 2005

Thanksgiving

Today we'll celebrate by eating turkey, canned cranberry sauce, and mashed potatoes, in exactly the same way as the Pilgrims did with the Indians on this same day in Massachusetts so many years ago.

I have a great deal to be thankful for in my personal life as a result of good luck and several fortuitous decisions made at key points during my sixty-year meandering interval on this planet.

My country, my society, and my tribe, however, have little to celebrate today. Our vaunted prosperity has become a curse and a liability; our freedom has borne bitter fruit. Freedom entails the freedom to choose badly, and we have.

Prosperity and freedom carry awesome and frightening responsibilities. Maybe someday, we'll either learn how to handle them, or lose them altogether.

No comments: